Butternut Squash Risotto
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
1/2 whole Butternut Squash, Peeled, Seeded, And Diced.
3 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Black Pepper To Taste
1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 whole Diced Onion
1-1/2 cup Arborio Rice
6 cups (approximately) Vegetable Or Chicken Broth (low Sodium)
Salt And Pepper, to taste
1/8 teaspoon Turmeric
1/4 cup Heavy Cream (less If Desired)
1/2 cup Parmesan Shavings (more For Serving)
Finely Minced Parsley, For Serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add squash and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Cook for several minutes, turning gently with a spatula, until squash is deep golden brown and tender (but not falling apart.) Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Heat broth in a saucepan over low heat. Keep warm.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the same skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add Arborio rice and stir, cooking for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low. In 1-cup increments, begin adding broth to the skillet, stirring to combine and gently stirring as the broth is absorbed. As soon as the liquid disappears, add in another cup to cup-and-a-half of broth. Continue this process, stirring gently as the broth incorporates and the rice starts to become tender. Add salt, pepper along the way.
- Taste the rice after about 5 cups of broth have been absorbed and see what the consistency is. Add another 1 to 2 cups of broth as needed to get the rice to the right consistency: it should be tender with just a little bit of "bite" left to it.
- When the rice is tender, add in the cooked squash and turmeric and stir it in gently. Add the cream and Parmesan shavings and stir until it's just combined. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle minced parsley over the top and serve immediately!
Recipe Courtesy The Pioneer Woman« Back to Recipes